Adding a passport
Once you’ve created a Yoti account, you can scan your passport to add verified details to your account.
How to add a passport:
- On the home screen, go to ID documents and tap Add.
- Select the country your passport was issued in.
- On the Select your ID document screen, choose Passport.
- Place the photo page of your passport in the frame.
- Review the details added from your passport are correct before you continue.
Tip: When scanning your passport, make sure you are in an area with good lighting and that the passport is clear and in focus. Make sure all details of the passport photo page are in the frame.
Verifying your passport
For the security of our users, we need to make sure the passport is genuine and matches the details you’ve added to your Yoti account.
There are two ways to have your passport verified, depending on whether your passport contains a electronic chip (sometimes called an ‘ePassport’).
Verify with an ePassport
An ePassport is a traditional passport with an electronic chip that contains your biometric details – this chip can be scanned using the app. Look out for this small symbol on the front cover to see if you have an ePassport.
Your chip contains a digital signature that will be matched to your account to verify your details.
At the moment, this is only possible on Android phones and iOS 13 that are NFC enabled. We’ll detect whether your phone is NFC enabled. If it isn’t, you can enable it from your phone settings.
How to scan:
- Close your passport.
- Place your phone on top of your passport with the screen facing up.
- Your passport chip will then automatically be scanned. If the chip isn’t detected move your phone around slightly.
- You will receive a success message once the scan is completed.
Verify with a passport that doesn't have a biometric chip
This method involves scanning the ‘machine-readable zone’ (MRZ) on your passport, which is the two-line code at the bottom of the photo page. It contains the personal details on the passport.
How to scan:
- Hold your passport open at the photo page (showing your photo and personal details).
- Hold your phone above the photo page, so your phone camera can see it.
- Line up the arrows on your phone screen with the Machine-Readable Zone (MRZ) to complete the scan. Capture your photo and the MRZ.
When holding the passport, make sure your fingers aren't covering your photo, that you’re in an area with good lighting and to avoid glare or reflection.